Welcome to the Maine Young Members (YM)!
The Maine Chapter Young Members group is growing! Due to participant involvement and members stepping up to become leaders, we are able to offer more events each season.
Our focus is to get young folks in their 20’s and 30’s, and young at heart, involved in AMC activities: socialization, recreation, and conservation. We are hoping to increase young membership in the AMC and to ensure that the Maine Chapter remains strong and active well into the future. The Young Members Committee will plan workshops, trips, and events geared towards specific interests, while also working with other AMC committees and outing clubs on Maine’s college campuses.
For Young Member Activities, visit the calendar to view continuously updated postings of events and activities, and ‘like’ us on Facebook for last minute trip postings and reminders: AMC Maine/NH Young Members
Why Get Involved?
- You want to meet people with similar interests on awesome hiking, paddling, climbing, or skiing trips, for both overnight and day trips, all over New England.
- You want to support the oldest Conservation organization in the country.
- You want to improve your leadership skills and lead trips for your peers. AMC offers training and mentoring programs.
- You get Membership Discounts on: trainings, destination stays (lodging), books, maps, paddling, skiing, gear and more. Please log in to AMC Member Center and check out the Member Deals page.
How to get involved?
- Become a participant on a hike or attend a social! See the calendar
- Become a member at https://amcmaine.org/membership/
- Become a Leader for Hiking, Backpacking, Biking (Road and Mountain), Paddling, Winter hikes, and/or Socials. You can start the process of becoming a leader anytime of the year. For more information contact the Young Member Chair
Contact Us if you are interested in getting involved with the Maine Chapter Young Members, or to be placed on an e-mail list for notification of events and activities! Email Young Member Chair.
Don’t live in Maine? Or just want to see what other Young Members Groups are doing? For more information on young members committees in other chapters, please go to their websites:
- Boston Chapter: amcboston.org/youngmembers
- Worcester Chapter: amcworcester.org/ym
- New Hampshire Chapter: http://www.amc-nh.org/youngmemb.html
- New York/North Jersey Chapter: www.amc-ny.org/young-members
- Connecticut Chapter: www.ct-amc.org/ym/
- Berkshires Chapter: amcberkshire.org/young_members
- Potomac Chapter: outdoors.org/chapters/potomac
- Delaware Valley: (scroll to the bottom of the page) http://www.amcdv.org/Activities/
Baxter State Park: 20s & 30s Hiking and Camping WeekendDate: Friday, July 2 - Monday, July 5
Join us for a Young Members weekend in Baxter State Park! We've reserved a campsite at the Bear Brook group area (near Roaring Brook Campground), and we'll spend three days hiking and camping together - including a summit hike of Mount Katahdin! On Friday evening, we'll meet each other, set up our tents, enjoy a campfire, and discuss the plan for the following day. You'll need to arrive at the campsite by 7 p.m. On Saturday (or Sunday if the weather is better), we'll summit Katahdin! We plan to hike up the Saddle Trail and return via the Hamlin Ridge Trail. It will be a long and strenuous hike of about 11 miles. On Sunday, we'll take it easier and hike the Blueberry Ledges Trail. This moderate hike will be about 8 miles and include plenty of time for relaxing, exploring, and picnicking on the beautiful ledges. On Monday, we'll break down camp in the morning and hike nearby South Turner Mountain for one last view of Katahdin before heading home. This will be a moderate hike of about 5 miles. As this is three days of hiking, including one very strenuous day, good fitness and experience with similar hikes are required. The focus will be on having fun and staying together as a group, but everyone will need to be comfortable maintaining a moderate hiking pace over difficult terrain and long hours. All interested in this weekend will need to answer a few questions to evaluate their preparedness before they are officially registered. If you're interested in this trip and it seems like a good fit with your past experience, please register your interest, and we'll be in touch! This is a Young Members event that aims to connect people in their 20s and 30s with the outdoors and each other, but all who love preserving and playing in nature are welcome to join us!Activity Categories: Hiking
Adult Member Fee: $30
Adult Non-Member Fee: $40
Location: Baxter State Park
Region: Maine, Inland
Leader: Steven Profaizer , Robin Kerber
Registration is required for this activity.