Welcome to the Maine Young Members (YM)!
The Maine Chapter Young Members group is growing! Due to participant involvement and members stepping up to become leaders, we are able to offer more events each season.
Our focus is to get young folks in their 20’s and 30’s, and young at heart, involved in AMC activities: socialization, recreation, and conservation. We are hoping to increase young membership in the AMC and to ensure that the Maine Chapter remains strong and active well into the future. The Young Members Committee will plan workshops, trips, and events geared towards specific interests, while also working with other AMC committees and outing clubs on Maine’s college campuses.
For Young Member Activities, visit the calendar to view continuously updated postings of events and activities, and ‘like’ us on Facebook for last minute trip postings and reminders: AMC Maine/NH Young Members
Why Get Involved?
- You want to meet people with similar interests on awesome hiking, paddling, climbing, or skiing trips, for both overnight and day trips, all over New England.
- You want to support the oldest Conservation organization in the country.
- You want to improve your leadership skills and lead trips for your peers. AMC offers training and mentoring programs.
- You get Membership Discounts on: trainings, destination stays (lodging), books, maps, paddling, skiing, gear and more. Please log in to AMC Member Center and check out the Member Deals page.
How to get involved?
- Become a participant on a hike or attend a social! See the calendar
- Become a member at https://amcmaine.org/membership/
- Become a Leader for Hiking, Backpacking, Biking (Road and Mountain), Paddling, Winter hikes, and/or Socials. You can start the process of becoming a leader anytime of the year. For more information contact the Young Member Chair
Contact Us if you are interested in getting involved with the Maine Chapter Young Members, or to be placed on an e-mail list for notification of events and activities! Email Young Member Chair.
Don’t live in Maine? Or just want to see what other Young Members Groups are doing? For more information on young members committees in other chapters, please go to their websites:
- Boston Chapter: amcboston.org/youngmembers
- Worcester Chapter: amcworcester.org/ym
- New Hampshire Chapter: http://www.amc-nh.org/youngmemb.html
- New York/North Jersey Chapter: www.amc-ny.org/young-members
- Connecticut Chapter: www.ct-amc.org/ym/
- Berkshires Chapter: amcberkshire.org/young_members
- Potomac Chapter: outdoors.org/chapters/potomac
- Delaware Valley: (scroll to the bottom of the page) http://www.amcdv.org/Activities/
Young Members: Mount Bigelow BackpackingDate: Saturday, October 23 - Sunday, October 24
Join us for a Young Members backpacking trip in the Bigelow Preserve! This intermediate, overnight trip will cover a 12-mile loop that offers beautiful views of the Carrabassett Valley and Flagstaff Lake. The total elevation gain will be about 4,000 feet. The first day will be about seven miles and a lot of climbing as we go up and over West Peak via Horns Pond and the Appalachian Trail. We'll start out the second day with a one-mile out and back to Avery Peak before hiking the remaining four miles back to our cars. All participants will need to have good fitness and experience with similar backpacking trips. You'll be responsible for all your own food and gear. As this is a shoulder season hike, you need to have access to cold weather hiking clothing, a winter sleeping bag, and microspikes. The focus of the trip will be on having fun and staying together as a group, but everyone will need to be comfortable maintaining a moderate hiking pace with a full backpack over steep terrain and many miles. All interested in joining the trip will need to answer a few questions to evaluate their preparedness before they are officially registered. Check out more details about the planned route at https://bit.ly/2YMPNPF. If it seems of interest and a good fit with your past experience, please register, and we'll be in touch! This is a Young Members event that aims to connect people in their 20s and 30s with the outdoors and each other, but all who love preserving and playing in nature are welcome to join us!Activity Categories: Backpacking
Region: Maine, Western
Status: Wait Listed
Leader: Steven Profaizer , Denise Fredette
Registration is required for this activity.
Trip Difficulty: Strenuous
FMI: Route Description